Electricians plan, prepare install, test, connect, commission, maintain, alter and repair electrical equipment, wiring and control systems and apply the knowledge and skills obtained, in a variety of contexts. Electricians qualified through this qualification will be able to plan, prepare, install, maintain, commission and fault find a range of equipment and systems within a variety of electrical installations in the construction, manufacturing, chemical, energy, mining, municipal, agricultural and railway environments.
Various specialisation areas where a learner must first be qualified as an electrician are the areas of metering, high voltage and medium voltage (HV and MV), live work, hazardous areas, medium and high voltage cable jointing, switching and protection.
What Will I Learn?
- Plan and prepare work site, equipment, tools, consumables and materials for electrical activities and operations.
- Install, wire and connect electrical equipment and control systems.
- Test and inspect electrical equipment, control systems and installations.
- Commission control systems and installations.
- Maintain and repair electrical equipment, control systems and installations.
- Fulltime – 24 months
- RPL – to be completed within a year.
Entry Level Requirements
- NQF Level 1 qualification with Mathematics and Science (NOTE: The learner must be age 16 and over). The entry requirements of the Qualification will allow learners leaving the general schooling system after Grade 9 to gain access to the qualification.